Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11 - Remembrance Day

Today is November 11 - Remembrance Day in Canada and Veterans Day in the US. It is a day to remember our War Veterans, living or passed away. This is a day that is always very difficult for me as my father was a World War 2 Veteran but he did not like to talk about his time in the war. He found it very difficult to discuss his experiences as they brought back terrible memories for him. Fortunately, a few years before his passing in 2006, my younger brother was able to sit down with him and record a conversation on cassette tape with my dad where he was able to ask him a number of questions and my dad answered a lot of them. I have listened to that tape many times over and it contains not just war stories but memories of much of my father's life as a child and as a young adult. I will be forever grateful to my brother for taking the time to make that recording for each of us in my family as it is a treasured memory that we now each have of our dad. 

I hope today that you take the time out of your busy schedule to do more than just pause for a moment of silence at 11am - that you attend a service to remember the veterans who fought for your freedom - many of whom are still fighting today. 

Dad - I love you so very much and I admire you for feeling so strongly about standing up for your country when they needed you. 
You taught me so much about being a person whom others can count on, and being a reliable and contributing member of sociey. I draw on lessons you taught me each and every day, hoping that they will continue to make me a better person - a person who was more like you. 
You have always been my hero and you always will be. 
I miss you so very much. 
All my love, 
Alyson

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your daddy, Alyson. :) My husband's Grandpa, who is 94 this year, was in Pearl Harbor during the attack. He wouldn't talk about it for the longest time, but about 5 years ago, I sat with him one day and asked him questions, not realizing it was something he didn't like to talk about, and he shared all kinds of fun (and sad stories, too) with me about his adventures in the Navy. He was actually in sick bay when the attack started, from a free day spent fishing with the locals. He talked about bringing home a grass skirt for his firstborn baby girl and a pearl necklace for his wife. My own grandfather lied about his age to get into the army and was off the coast off Japan when it was bombed. He also doesn't like to talk about his time then. We are blessed to come from such roots. They are true hero's in my eyes. Have a good day, and think about the good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - it truly makes me smile :)